Sunday, May 3, 2009

Blog 15 (Blue Zones)

The topic for today's blog wasn't too hard to find. I thought of blogging about this as soon as I read the article. This is an article about people who live on the island of Icaria who have a very high chance of reaching the age of 90! In fact, one in three people will live to be 90 years old or higher. Places with high longevity like this island are called blue zones. No, they're not magical places that bless its residents with a long life span. In blue zones, like the island of Icaria, the citizens practice very healthy lifestyles.

One of the things that this article said that contributes to the longevity of the citizens is that the people on the island walk pretty much anywhere they go. The article said that this ends up burning more calories than going to the gym for 20 minutes a day. I will never underestimate the power of walking again. I have done a lot more walking since the temperatures have warmed, and I think after reading this I may have to do more of that! I don't consider it a workout but apparently it helps. Plus, the islanders do a lot of other physical activity such as gardening. Also, their diets consist of olive oil and lots of fruits and vegetables that are native to the land. I love fruits and veggies but often times they are not fresh in the grocery store. I buy a package of strawberries and have to throw half of them out. I kind of think of them as a waste of money when I have to throw them out, so I don't eat them as much as I should.
Additionally, these islanders drink herbal tea everday morning, noon, and night. These teas contain lots of antioxidants plus it lowers blood pressure.

Icaria isn't the only blue zone, though. Costa Rica also has citizens who likely make it into their 90s. This article mentions that Northwestern Costa Rica residents live a very traditional lifestyle: they work as farmers and still cook on wood-burning stoves. This articles doesn't answer any questions as to why they live as long as they do, but a team of reserachers plan to do that. I couldn't find a followup article, though.

There are only a few known blue zones in the world and all of them have citizens who eat healthy and organically as well as get plenty of exercise and socialization. I think all cultures are capable of doing this, but when you live in North Dakota it's hard to find organic food that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and 9 out of 12 months are too cold to allow exercise outdoors. Exercising indoors on equipment is just too boring. Maybe we ought to think of ways we can increase our longevity.

5 comments:

  1. I think you picked a great topic to blog about. I firfst heard of these "blue zones" a couple months ago on The Today Show on NBC. I found it very interesting that the people of these communities were living for a long time with little to no major health problems. I think it's important to learn from these articles and information on "blue zones". Maybe it is a lesson for our society to change eating, sleeping, and working habits. I think it is important to eat well and exercise, as studies show this can increase life span.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,

    I would love to be able to say that I’m incredibly healthy, but I know that would be a lie. I try, but to be honest it’s kind of hard. So called “healthy foods” are expensive. In addition, finding time to squeeze in a workout can be difficult as well. I took living at home in Canada for granted. My parents have a garden and grow most of our food. We get our chickens and eggs locally and most of our meat from my cousin who is a farmer. I like knowing where the food I am putting into my body is coming from. It makes me feel safer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an interesting story. I find it ironic how we, in a more technologically advanced country, are not living as long as those who live in these areas. I've been living at home since the flood kicked us out of Valley City, and I know I am eating much healthier. For as long as I can remember my mom has grown a garden and, in my opinion, garden vegetables taste much better than grocery store vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You are what you eat." That is a line that is suddenly coming to mind. I find it funny that these people can honestly maintain a lifestyle such as this for so many years. I mean, 90 years is a lengthy period of time and it is even more crazy that the places (like Japan) that have such advanced technological lifestyles do not have one of these "blue zones". I mean, if they cannot have this type of life, then what is the technology good for. Maybe we should all just dump our modernism and live like these people who live 9 decades! NAH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on Oprah a few months ago! I was totally ito the episode. What Dr. Oz was saying made sense; people that lived in
    "blue zones" not only were alive at 90-100 years old, but there was one man who was in his late 90's and still farming and working in the fields. He was in better shape than most men in their 30's! it was amazing.
    I also like what you wrote about not underestimating the power of walking. I am so glad it is getting nice out and it is walking weather! Have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete