Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Blog 10 (The Flood of '09)

This is a link to one of many articles found from The Forum about the flood updates. This may be a very common blog topic not only in our class but in the entire blogosphere. Also, people all over Facebook who aren't from around here are talking to me and other friends about the flood. This article talks about the town of Linton, ND being evacuated. I was quite young in the flood of '97, but I remember how awful everything was. My hometown, Cooperstown, isn't close enough to any bodies of water that it flooded too bad. It kind of shocks me how these towns are flooding so bad that they need to be evacuated already.

If you read the article, you will see comments written by others. The idea of these comments relates back to an idea discussed in another class (that I am also blogging for) talking about Web 2.0 (social media and a more interactive version of the internet). This pretty much means that readers are able to not only read the article but to also show their viewpoints. If you read these comments, you can see a clash in some readers' views, causing what I think is sarcastic comments. Even though arguments can break out from comment enabling, I think it's important that the readers are able to share their ideas. The internet is a new and growing form of communication, and this way people are able to talk with others, maybe not even from around here. Do you think that comment enabling on news stories is a good thing or a bad thing?

After I write this, I am going to go out sandbagging, as I'm sure most of you are doing right now. It's scary to think that our classes were cancelled because that is how desparate we need those sandbags. I went up there last night for a few hours and got a lot done. It was great to see many people from the community out volunteering. Some people say they do not understand why we live in North Dakota. Obviously, the weather is awful at times, but what about the people and the community. From some previous blog entries I've read for this class, I am aware that not everyone is as giving as we are.

Moreover, I think it's great that the community is keeping us informed with the latest information on the flood. I refresh the Forum's homepage as well as the road report's page many times throughout the day, checking to see the latest updates. It's amazing how just a week ago, many of us weren't even thinking of the damages that can, will, and are being done.

7 comments:

  1. I just keep hoping for the best. Its not too bad here in Cooperstown. Were not experiencing the brink of it. I can only pray that everything will be alright...I really really really hope Fargo can hold up right now. I think its smart that the colleges have cancelled to promote and gain student volunteers. It seems to be necessary. We just ate at the Coachman and was watching CBS news there...which is national...anyways what were they covering...yep, FARGO! I also agree with your comment that the reason North Dakota is great is because of the people. And when times are hard I think it seems to show, proud to call myself a North Dakotan. Hit all the points in my heart with the flood right now- great post Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi,
    1997! I too was very young when this flood occurred. Right now, the only thing I keep asking is why were we not ready in advance? We knew it was going to happen. When I was still at Leevers, customers and I would talk about the flood and how inevitable it was. Therefore, where are the sandbags that could have been made in January. However, from what I have been told, the reason this season is so bad is because it is not happening like it is supposed to. So, blame MOTHER NATURE. This is all HER fault!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though everything on the news lately has been about the flood, I still sit hypnotized and watch every second of it. I really don't remember much about the flood of 97. I recall Grand Forks and the destruction of the town, but I don't remember all of the details. Now I notice all of the evacuations, road closings, school cancelations, and most of all, all of the support from the communities, guard units, and surrounding areas.

    It has been a crazy week and will probably only get worse. If this snow stops ever hopefully we can get out and sandbag again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first it was annoying I thought that everything on the news was about the flood, but now that it is hitting close to home I am watching the news a lot more now. I am from West Fargo and I know a lot of people around that area that are very nervous for their homes. It just seems crazy how insane the weather has been lately, especially since they have cancelled schools to get help for sandbagging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was also pretty young during the flood of 1997. However, I had relatives in Grand Forks at the time and remember hearing about how bad it was. Growing up on the western side of the state, this is the first real flood I've ever been close to. It was so encouraging to see so many people up at the Winter Show building filling sandbags on Monday and then hearing of all the sandbagging efforts on Tuesday. Two things about the weather in North Dakota: it's never boring and always gives us something to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely going to be a very common topic on blogs and other internet information sites, and the media world in general. Any time there is a natural disaster, it is a very big public relations time. Many companies will end up gaining a lot from this situation. Whether or not this is right or wrong, that's a different situation, but companies will offer there services to help people out and by doing that they actually will be improving their image and this may mean increased business in the future. Also on comment enabling, it is a great tool for writers to get a feel for how people are thinking and reacting to various news stories. It is a great way to interact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember 1997. And I’ll remember this year too. Just last night my husband and I decided this will be out last year in our home. We aren’t sure how, or where, but we’ll be leaving the only home he’s ever known. We just can’t do this again. Last Tuesday night, the water was 4 yards from my garage door – that’s 2.5 feet deeper than in ’97. It went down – now it’s going up. I have to park my car on the top of the hill and have my husband deliver me to the house in the pick up or tractor because the water will be too deep.

    ReplyDelete