Monday, March 30, 2009

Blog 11 (Twitter)

Twitter is the latest in the social networking site craze, apparently. I've heard of it, but don't know anyone who uses it, well until I finally created a site for myself. Then I found Valley News Live on there. According to this article, Twitter has even changed the face of politics and now may even be changing Hollywood. As a matter of fact, the whole reason I decided to check out Twitter is because I heard it was so huge that it caused Jennifer Aniston to leave John Mayer, due to his Twitter fetish.

I don't know if any of you have Twitter accounts, but I don't really understand the appeal. It reminds me of an incredibly short blog (one that is too short to even make a relavent point anyway) mixed with a Facebook status update. I don't Tweet much, but if it ever does become a trend around here, I'm sure I'll on the bandwagon (just like I did with Facebook, MySpace, myYearbook, Tagged, hi5, Xanga...).

In an attempt to be unbiased, here is a blog entry by someone who loves to hate Twitter. This blogger calls Twitter a waste of bandwidth. Here is her/his thoughts: "Why do we think we’re so important that we believe other people want to know about what we’re having for lunch, how bored we are at work or the state of inebriation we happen to be at this very moment in time? How did society get to the point that we are constantly improving technology so that this non-news can reach others even faster than a cell phone, a text message, a blog, our Facebook profiles?"

I am one of those who likes to be reached and likes to reach others, but Twitter seems as though it is crossing the line. Seriously, after everything I do, I'm not going to write a Tweet, narrating my life! I guess that's what Twitter wants you to do, though.

Now, I can understand why people blog and even why they use MySpace and Facebook. Blogging allows for hyperlinks to other articles and blogs as well as an in-depth conversation, not limited to a mere 140 characters. Facebook and MySpace allows for picture sharing and comments and the ability to join groups and causes to unite with others.

One other thing that annoys me not only about Twitter but the entire lingo of the internet is the abbreviations, acronyms, and poor grammar. On Twitter, you may have no choice but to use abbreviations and acronyms to get your thoughts into the 140 character limit, so those of us who do not understand what AYCOOYM means probably will not even want to read your Twitter update, anyway. BTW (by the way), AYCOOYM means: Are you completely out of your mind? Yes, that may just be the questions for Twitter fanatics.

Oddly enough, I have a tough time posting my comments to 100 characters in this class, but on Twitter, when I was answering the question "What are you doing?" I needed more characters!

Any thoughts on Twitter? Do you see it becoming a craze here in North Dakota?

6 comments:

  1. Interesting Blog about Twitter. Just the other day there were to very techy faculty in my office trying to decide where the best place was to develop a page (other than web page) for their division. The goal is to attract students to investigate and learn more about what VCSU has to offer. They talked web pages, twitters, blogs, face book and a few other things I don’t even recall. How do you choose? How do you know what people are looking for? How do you know you are getting to those you really want to get to? It’s becoming harder and harder to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will these ever stop? I thought Tagged was enough, then everybody except me got MySpace, then everyone including me got Facebook. Now there's Twitter. I tend to agree with the guy who strongly dislikes Twitter. But at the same time it is up to each individual how much they want to divulge and how much they want to read about other people’s lives. I don’t plan on signing up for Twitter anytime soon, but as technology goes, it wouldn’t surprise me if I got sucked in at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud when I read what you wrote about Jennifer Anniston Leaving John Mayer because of his obsession with Twitter. I had heard that befor, but every time I hear it is still just as pathetic and hilarious as the first time I heard it.

    Honestly, I don't see why Twitter wouldn't become popular in North Dakota. People are OBSESSED with Facebook, and I have to admit I spend a fair amount of time on it as well. I don't know if it matters so much what state we live in, but maybe if you are in college? It seems like a lot of high school and college students are into FAcebook, so Twitter might be next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard about Twitter being the new crazy thing! Honestly, though I heart my facebook, and will probably just stick with that. To answer your question, I don't see Twitter being a big thing in North Dakota. Personally, I think the only reason some people are into it is because of all the hype surrounding celebrities using Twitter.

    I mean the thought is kind of cool...you could Twitter with a celeb. I find it kind of neat though that Twitter was developed by a Cornell student, Jack Dorsey. Seriously, another college student founder. I know Facebook was organized by a college student when it first started. Maybe...I'll be the next one $$$, just kidding! Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heidi,

    I guess I am sort of biased as I don’t have a Twitter account myself, but it sounds ridiculous to me. I too jumped on the Facebook and MySpace bandwagons, but I think I’ll pass on this one. It really annoys me when people use their Facebook status updates to narrate their lives. I have some friends who change their status at least ten times in one day. I don’t care that you’re eating lunch! I’m sorry, but I really don’t. So since I’m not a big fan of constant changing status updates I doubt I’d be a Twitter fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard of Twitter too, but I myself do not have an account. I do not know a lot of people like you say that uses this yet. I do not think I’ll get an account but who knows in the future. I did hear that, that one of the reasons why Jennifer Aniston left John Mayer was because of being a little obsessed with Twitter. Now, that just sounds like a childish thing to do, but celebrities are human too and I know that would be a problem with me too. It may be a small problem, but it would still bother me. There are so many different social networking sites you listed in your blog, and a couple of them I have not even heard of.

    ReplyDelete