Thursday, April 9, 2009

Blog 13 (Roxanna Saberi)

Roxanna Saberi has been in the local news a lot lately, and I just found an article stating the latest news. Her sentence, which I found out about a couple days ago, might be erased. When I first learned about Saberi's unfortunate arrest, I was kind of confused. I didn't even know what press credentials were, let alone it was such a serious crime to be without them. This is sort of a how-to description, if you're curious... After learning a bit more about her case, I wondered why she was in prison. Then I wondered what would happen to her. Her story gave me the "what if it was me" feeling. I have never thought about going to Iran, but I have thought of going elsewhere in the world, and I thought to myself, what if I had broken some crazy law I didn't even know about and ended up in prison? Although, I may likely be sent back to America for punishment, Saberi, being a dual citizen isn't so lucky.

If things didn't seem bad enough for Saberi, they only got worse; she was accused of espionage in Iran. She was then sentenced to eight years in prison. Just hearing all of this makes me feel sad for her and her family, especially if she wasn't even guilty.

I read a column in the Times-Record written by Steve Browne about Saberi's situation. I can't seem to find it online, but Browne stated that his children are also dual citizens--of Poland and America. He mentioned that she may likely be punished in Iran since she's a dual citizen. He thought there was nothing the U.S. could do about it because of her dual citizenship.

In this type of situation, I think people need to think realistically, and that is just what Browne is doing. I wish there was something that the U.S. could do for this girl, but I don't think there is either. I don't know her at all, but according to what I've read, she was not spying for the United States. I really feel bad for her family, and I know they've been really worried about her. Like I mentioned earlier, sometimes things like this makes me wonder what would happen if I broke a law in another country. I just hope we can hear some good news about this situation sometime soon!

4 comments:

  1. Professor Vanhorn posted a similar blog about this. Actually working in the field of journalism and learning about is something I am passionate about. And I feel Saberi is too. I saw a few clips of her stories on various news channels in the past week or so. You can tell she loves what she does. Doesn't it say a lot though that she travled to Iran to report and whatnot? I feel bad for her. However, I have also read about Hilary Clinton and Obama trying to help the tension of her situation with Iran gov't. That's interesting that you mention the dual citizenship. I didn't know she had that in Iran. But, in reality I could see how that could make the sentencing or punishment worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very unfortunate story. It is definitely a rough time for her and her family. It seems like dual citizenship, in this case, is more of a blessing than a curse. It also hurts that the United States' relationship with Iran is not exactly positive. Last night I heard that she is going on a hunger strike until she gets freed from prison. I hope this situation gets resolved and that the two countries can get closer rather than farther apart from this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I feel lame for not hearing about her. Unless, maybe she was the lady on the front of the forum one day, otherwise, I am oblivious. Isn't that the way it works though? As a reporter, when on assignment, unless you have a native guide, the silly laws that you may break can cost you your life. As I look at what Titus said above, regarding her hunger strike, I am reminded of Alice Paul. She is that last woman I recall having a massive hunger strike to be removed from prison. With Paul, the results were highly positive. Hopefully, for the sake of this woman and her family, the results are just as positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so very impressed that so many of the students in our class are considering being reporters outside the U.S. And I totally understand the apprehensions you have considering how close to home this tragedy is for us. I guess when you make that decision you really need to know the country you are traveling to. Do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe while being honest to your journalistic beliefs. I don’t think I’ll find myself in this situation but do applaud those that work hard to bring the real story home to the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete