Monday, April 6, 2009

Blog 12 (North Dakota Dodging the Recession)

I'd like to start off this blog by saying I'm not quite sure I understand the difference between an editorial and a column, so if anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate it.

While looking on CNN for a good news story to write about, I found a graphic image instead. Take a look at this map of the United States. It shows the unemployment rate, the foreclosure rate, and the state budget defeciet rate. If you notice, North Dakota is always in the lowest percentage rate. A lot of good things have been said about our state lately, and this looks to be one other good thing. And according to this article, North Dakota is the only state doing well right now. Their reason? "North Dakota's diversified economy is keeping the small state afloat while most U.S. states sink deeper into economic recession." The article also states that ND has a stable housing market. While the Obama Administration is working hard to give people mortgage breaks, North Dakotans are working hard to pay for their houses the old-fashioned way...and of course saving their homeland from raging floodwaters.

If you're wondering what a mortgage bailout plan is, I found a website that answered some of my questions. The site goes on to mention that people have different opinions on this plan. Some don't like the idea because those who were irresponsible enough to get themselves into that much debt should not be bailed out. Others approve of the idea because lenders are deceptive in their practices. That's something I don't understand. I've heard time and time again that lenders like to give loans to those with poor credit because ultimately they'll make more money from them than from those with excellent credit (think late fees...). However, what happens when those who have poor credit just quit paying their loan all together? The bank doesn't make any money. So why would lenders want to deceive people into getting a loan that they cannot afford?!

Maybe it's because I'm from North Dakota, but I don't like the idea of any of this bailout stuff. All it does is let people think, "It's okay, make mistakes, the government will take care of you." Maybe it's attitudes like this that make our state the one that refuses to take part in the recession. I'm open to other viewpoints though. If you think bailouts are a good idea, I'd like to know why.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Heidi. I find it humorous in a way that it seems like North Dakota is usually the opposite of the rest of the country. If I remember correctly, last census North Dakota had the smallest population rise in the nation, and now when the rest of the country is suffering economically we are holding our own. I will always be proud of our state no matter where my life takes me. I agree that government bailouts send the wrong messages to the wrong people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go North Dakota!
    The map you have linked is crazy. It is amazing to me that the economy and our country can be doing so poorly, but it is heartening to see North Daktoa holding our own. It looks like our lifestyle of hardwork is paying off.

    I agree with your thoughts on the bailouts. To me, it is showing the big dogs that they can make huge mistakes and throw away the hard workign mans dollar and not have to pay for any of it. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,
    I am right there with you. This bailout garbage is just going to set our country up for more problems later on. Don't get me wrong: I am a huge fan of Barack Obama, but I do not think this is the way to solve the problem. No matter what we try to do right now, our country's economy is going to continue to suffer. North Dakota is doing well, yes, and I think this is because of the pipe-line and wind tower construction from the past summer. But now, our budget will probably be going down...thank you MOTHER NATURE.

    ReplyDelete